Thank you for registering to audition for MYSO’s 2020–21 season.
We ask you to create an audition video which we will use to make an appropriate placement for the 2020–21 season. All videos must be submitted by Thursday, April 30.
Since you will be creating your own video, you may record and re-record until you are satisfied.
What to Prepare
For musicians auditioning for the wind ensemble, orchestras, and flute ensembles, please record the following:
- Scales: perform two scales of your choice. Present each in any format you wish, and play both as many octaves (up and down) as you are comfortable.
- Solo: present a prepared solo or etude, no more than 3-4 minutes in length, preferably with contrasting tempos and/or styles (no piano accompaniment). Two short contrasting movements are acceptable.
- An excerpt: current members of MYSO will choose and perform a 30-45 second excerpt (part) from their ensemble’s current music/repertoire. New musicians are encouraged to play a band or orchestral excerpt if they wish, but are not required to do so.
Jazz Musicians: click here for audition requirements.
Making Your Video
We are very happy to receive auditions made with a smartphone. If it’s reasonably clear, we will be able to use the material. If there are issues, we’ll get in touch with you.
You can make your video wherever you’d like, but consider playing in a larger space that sounds good to you. Please dress appropriately as you would for something important like…an audition!
Your video does not need to be made in one take—we just ask that the separate parts of your audition (Scales, Solo, and Excerpt) not be edited and be played straight through. Please create one video file that includes the scale, solo, and excerpt material.
- If you do not have one, create a YouTube account using the YouTube app (you’ll need a Google account first) or visit the site. Directions on how to create an account.
- Have someone help record your audition. Make sure you are clearly visible and the stand is not in front of you. The video must clearly show the musician’s face, hands, and instrument. Instructions on how to upload your video on various devices.
- At the start of your video, please state ALL and ONLY the following:
- “Hello, my name is __________.”
- “I play in MYSO’s _____________” or “I am new to MYSO.”
- “I will be playing the ______ and the _______scales”
- “The piece(s) I am performing is/are… (state the names of the piece(s) and composer(s))."
- “The excerpt I will play is from ______________ written by ____________."
- Once you’ve recorded yourself, label/name the video like this: MYSO Audition 2020 Instrument, Last name, First name.
- You will also have to change the video's privacy settings from “Public” to “Unlisted,” which is done in the field below where you renamed it. You will want to have your privacy settings of your video set as “Unlisted,” not “Private” or "Public.” In this way, MYSO will be able to share the link with the professional judges reviewing players of your instrument. Only our audition team with this “Unlisted” link will be able to access your audition. Help on changing your video's privacy settings.
Submit your information and video via the form below.