Saturday, January 12, 2019
Milwaukee Youth Arts Center
The winnerperforms as soloist—accompanied by members of the String Orchestra—in the
String Serenade Concert
Saturday, May 18, 2019, 1:00 pm
Shattuck Music Center Auditorium, Carroll University
Application and deadline
- Please use the online application form at the link below to submit your information.
- NEW–You will receive an emailed confirmation of your application. Print out this email and obtain signatures of the applicant, a parent, and the applicant’s private teacher.
- The signed email printout must be received in the office (325 West Walnut Street, Milwaukee, 53212) no later than Friday, November 9, 2018.
- Confirmation of receipt of applications will be sent.Please call the office if you do not receive this byNovember 20.
- This competition is open only to musicians in MYSO’s String Orchestra; previous winners of the String Orchestra Concerto Competition are ineligible.
- Musicians may audition only on his/her instrument played in String Orchestra.
- Musicians must be in good standing and up-to-date with all membership fees in order to compete.
- Musicians who fail to show up for the competition without a phone call notification to the MYSO office at least 24 hours in advance of January 12may be considered ineligible to compete in any MYSO Concerto Competition in 2020.
- Memorization is preferred but not required.
- Piano accompaniment is required.Families must make their own arrangements. Call our office if you need assistance.
- Required repertoire:
Violin — Brahms, Hungarian Dance No. 5 (NOT the version from “Fun with Solos”)
Viola — Seitz, Concerto No. 5 in G major, mvt. I (Suzuki Book 4)
Cello — Vivaldi, Sonata in E minor, mvt. II (Allegro) (Suzuki Book 5)
Bass — Earl, Mummers (Danse Grotesque)
- Solo parts will be made available in rehearsal. Please see the Music Director if you intend to compete.
- MYSO is not able to guarantee audition times. Please note times you can’t make. Consider your accompanist’s schedule.
- All MYSO concerto competitions will occur simultaneously on January 12.
Contact Marna Bestul at firstname.lastname@example.org or 414-267-2945 with questions.