"MYSO helped shape who I am as a person today."
For more than 50 years, MYSO has meant an exceptional orchestra experience for many thousands of young people—and so much more! MYSO has been—and continues to be:
- A positive learning environment in an extraordinary facility where teamwork prevails and where friendships that are rooted in a shared passion for music grow and flourish, crossing the boundaries of geography, income, race and gender
- A program that dramatically enhances self-esteem and leadership skills
- An experience that plays a key role in developing significant life skills such as cognitive, creative and critical thinking, as well as focus, discipline and self-reliance.
"I made life-long friendships and contacts through MYSO...I can’t think of another place where a young person
could meet so many other young people who hold themselves to such high standards."
INSPIRING OUR YOUNG PEOPLE
In addition to teaching students about leadership, teamwork, time management, discipline, responsibility, self-reliance and more, MYSO students' lives are changed through their participation.
"At MYSO I saw the results that can come when everyone in a group commits time
and hard work to a collective cause."
ACCESS TO THE MYSO EXPERIENCE
More than 20 percent of our members receive financial aid for MYSO participation, private lessons, instruments and summer music programs. No one will be denied participation due to financial hardship!
During the 2009-2010 season, MYSO provided more than $120,000 in scholarship assistance to more than 180 students!
"MYSO opened doors to other experiences—musical and otherwise."
"MYSO was my refuge."
Over the years, MYSO ensembles have regularly been praised for artistic achievement. Our orchestras and jazz combos have toured internationally and performed to large, enthusiastic crowds in such prestigious venues as New York's Carnegie Hall, Barcelona's Teatro Palau, and China's Forbidden City Concert Hall.
"MYSO challenged me at a time when I needed to be challenged."
"MYSO taught me to recognize what I valued and what I wanted to put more time into."
ENRICHING THE COMMUNITY
- Each year MYSO conducts ambitious outreach programs at area schools and community centers in rural areas, suburbs, and the inner city.
- During the 2009-10 school year, MYSO students performed concerts for more than 7,500 of their peers in southeastern Wisconsin schools and provided significant support to area music programs.
- MYSO now has seven distinct music programs, which focus on diversifying the student body, serving disadvantaged students, and offering new musical styles. The programs range from Progressions, to Jazz Studies, to the Boys & Girls Club Partnership.
- The results are striking. Minority students now make up more than 20% of MYSO's membership.
- 2010-11 is MYSO’s 55th anniversary season!